SPECIAL PROJECTS COORDINATOR
Full-Time, Temporary (approx. Aug 31, 2019)
This full time, temporary position, beginning summer 2018, is responsible for advancing special projects to add value for Ringette Alberta Members and Participants.
Working with existing Ringette Alberta staff, volunteers and partners, the primary responsibilities of the Special Projects Coordinator are to coordinate the following:
- The formation and support of a Ringette Alberta Athlete Advisory Council
- The production and deployment of web-based coach resources to operationalization the Athlete Development Matrix (ADM), and its sub-set, the Ringette Essentials.
- Outreach programs to engage Indigenous Canadians, New Canadians and new participants, in general, and work with willing ringette associations, municipalities and other partners to provide opportunities to join the game beyond the traditional ringette structure.
- the production of a regular educational video series to support players, coaches and officials
Detailed Position Description
Athlete Advisory Council
- Coordinate the formation of an Athlete Advisory Council
- Coordinate new Council Member orientation
- Support Council operations
ADM Resources for Coaches
- Coordinate resource production (see Operationalizing ADM above) and supporting web portal (sponsorship tie-in once established)
- First step is to establish the terms of reference for the council – partially complete now (need to present concept to Board on Sunday June 3)
- Recruiting and appointment of council members
- Orientation for council members
- Communication to General Membership
- Support council operations
Outreach – New Participants
- Deliver day-time gym ringette sessions in schools and support a southern Alberta based individual (per event) as well. Tie to on-ice game and recreation department based ringette programming (e.g., once per week learn to skate / play)
Indigenous and New Canadians
- Engage with InMotion Network and other advocates on exposing indigenous Canadians and New Canadians to ringette.
- Coordinate the preparation of grants to support related initiatives
- Connect with other complimentary sports to offer combined programming to expose these sports to a broader audience. e.g., Summer camp where kids get to try different sports.
- Field hockey – confirmed
- Short Track Speed Skating – confirmed
- Team Handball – Pending as of May 30, 2018
- Set up recreational and learn to play (youth and adult) ringette programs with willing, targeted municipal recreation departments in order to provide an on-ramp to ringette for participants in the previously mentioned outreach programs.
Assist the Coach, Official, and Sport Development Coordinators to increase frequency and value of communication from Ringette Alberta by producing the following video series:
- Hey Ref: Different officials around the province featured giving information to athletes on understanding how the officials see plays and what is and isn’t a penalty, etc.
- Ask the Coach: Featuring respected coaches around the province giving other coaches guidance on stage-appropriate teaching. What it looks like, how to teach it, etc.
- Player Tips: Series of tips from Alberta’s NRL based players and experts from sport science and sport medicine giving tips to younger athletes
Competition Review Recommendations – Implementation Support
- Working primarily with the Executive Director, Ringette Canada and other stakeholders, support the implementation of Ringette Canada’s Competition Review Recommendations starting with Children’s Ringette.
Employment Terms and Compensation
- This is a temporary, full time position
- Active Ringette player
- Typical work hours are Monday to Friday with occasional evening and weekend work expected.
- A vehicle and valid driver’s license is highly recommended.
- Written and verbal proficiency in English and French is an asset
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Benefits are provided